MoreSigns
This is an area for community members to show their custom content work and/or projects or ask for feedback.
Tiberius_Morguhn

MoreSigns

Post by Tiberius_Morguhn »

I've been piddling with reskins for the DOA shop front signs. Here are some examples of what I've come up with. Comments? Suggestions? Requests? Thanks in advance.

[IMG]http://home.windstream.net/rustybranum/MoreSigns.jpg[/IMG]

Estelindis
ctp: Yes
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: Yes

Post by Estelindis »

Those signs are very nice! I particularly like the Minotaur sign and the Neverwinter eye sign. If I might voice some constructive criticism, some of them need to look a bit more "painted on." The dagger sign, and well as the daggers and shield sign, look a little too rendered.

Daijin
ctp: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Daijin »

wow.... :thumb:

Tiberius_Morguhn

[QUOTE=Estelindis;12087]If I might voice some constructive criticism, some of them need to look a bit more "painted on." The dagger sign, and well as the daggers and shield sign, look a little too rendered.[/QUOTE]

I agree - those probably won't make the final cut as I wasn't too happy with them to begin with. Thanks for the feedback.

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Have you tried running them though some filters in Photo shop? I am not sure if that is your texture editor of choice but those are still some fine choices if played with a bit. I loved DOA's signs! Nice to see a bit more flavor added.
[CENTER]:thumb:
[/CENTER]

raven280

Post by raven280 »

Wow...excellent signs! How about a sign for a brothel? Do you have a sign with the classic purple and black NWN symbol as well? What other signs do you have? These are really good, and I hope you release them at some point...

Tiberius_Morguhn

Thanks all. I use Gimp 2.4.6 for all my image editing chores. The release for this is a bit out as I want to add more types, possibly reskins of the Bioware signs too. If you see any images you think might make a good store front sign, post a link in this forum. Thanks. :thumb:

Christopher

Post by Christopher »

Also and alt. idea is plaques for temples to show the various Gods. I would think stone placeable to go up against the various temple models.

Keltic_Oryantal

Hm. *deep thoughts-->*

Post by Keltic_Oryantal »

In all honesty, I'd really love to see more signs that have basic symbols. Your images are gorgeous but I would love to see signs that don't have any words on them:

Stars, moons, flowers, animals, fantasy creatures, knights, ladies, castles, weapons, flags...

I'm not saying to skimp on the imagery or that your Red Minotaur pub sign isn't going to get any usage--I'm not the only one who likes it! IMHO, I just find that I can get a lot more use out of things that aren't say, world-tied or named.

I find myself saying that a lot, I guess. I think I've said it for placeables, clothing... it's like my mantra!

On the other hand, if it was some kind of gibberish, elf or dwarven type script, that would be very welcome. Anything with mysterious writing has it's uses! So far, spectacular as usual! :thumb:

DM_Mask

Post by DM_Mask »

I'm with Keltic when it comes to word/text/writing.

Signs, as with all placeables allow you to set a name when placed. While the sign(s) do benefit from the lettering, simply put this limits the potential uses. Strip the letter off the Red Minotaur, and you could use it as the sign for an establishment that does pit fight's with monsters. Likewise, you can set the name on the sign, so that upon mouse-over/click it display's the name.

Obviously it looses the detail and artistic beauty of fitting lettering but considering the trade off.. its essentially 101 uses vs being ideal for 1 situation.