Comunity Music Pack? (CMP)

Holy Crap

Post by Guest »

Seeing as how I sort of started this whole thread I'd just like to thank Tiberius_Morguhn for being the first person with the guts to step up and take action.

Personally I don’t give a crap about copy rights but Tiberius_Morguhn has seeming went the distance and got permissions.

If this project is to succeed now we must come together as a community and support one of our own.

We need to make automatic down loads, automatic modal updaters and easy to understand directions for installing and using the new files.

I would also like to thank Tiberius_Morguhn for joining the CTP boards just to comment here about this and take a little criticism

Ultimately our goal needs to be to secure the good name of CMP, it doesn’t matter who owns the name because I already posted and suggested that somone secure it and was only rewarded with comments like "Presentation is Everything, You only get one shot at first impressions."

It’s too late for that now but it’s not too late to pitch in and help by giving good feedback and suggestions for better versions, or even programs to integrate CMP with CTP CEP PRC and so on

raven280

Post by raven280 »

[QUOTE=Shioni;7321]

If this project is to succeed now we must come together as a community and support one of our own.

We need to make automatic down loads, automatic modal updaters and easy to understand directions for installing and using the new files.

I would also like to thank Tiberius_Morguhn for joining the CTP boards just to comment here about this and take a little criticism

Ultimately our goal needs to be to secure the good name of CMP, it doesn’t matter who owns the name because I already posted and suggested that somone secure it and was only rewarded with comments like "Presentation is Everything, You only get one shot at first impressions."

It’s too late for that now but it’s not too late to pitch in and help by giving good feedback and suggestions for better versions, or even programs to integrate CMP with CTP CEP PRC and so on[/QUOTE]

I also agree with this Shoini, and I also want to thank Tiberius for taking the time to join us here in the CTP forums and discuse his project. Tiberius, please do not think we are attacking you, but there was a group of us here within the CTP that was working on a similiar project with the same name and we were somewhat suspect when your project released with the same name we had chosen. I will admit that it would be an easy choice of names for this type of project, and someone once said " great minds think alike".

I have a great amount of respect for both Chris and Bannor who lead the CTP team, and I would like to see the same kind of dedication and leadership on a CMP project. Bannor is correct in reguards to us being better off working together for the good of the community. I would like to see us all work together on this project and see it grow and prosper.

Tiberius, I do appreciate the work you put into this project, and I am grateful that you have made valid points for using published professional material. Myself and the others here in this forum were looking at doing more community created stuff (all though you make a valid point of the lack of decent community material), but we were also looking at featuring sounds (like various animals and environments) as well as voice over material.

Rather than our team continuing to do its own project, and having any negative feeling toward your project and what you have done, I would like to offer that "olive branch", and suggest that we work on this CMP project together as a team. Since you have already taken the lead on this, I have no problem if you want to continue to spearhead this project. I know we have some really dedicated folks here on this project, and I think we could really make a heck of a music/sound pack if we were to work together...

Raven280

Christopher
ctp: No
dla: No
TBotR: No
nwnihof: No

Post by Christopher »

I have made no imput to this thread other then one post. I am not working nor doing anything with the CMP. I also am responsible for a rather tastless accusation on the Vault directed at Tiberius_Morguhn.

I have made some posts and sent some pm's hopefully to smooth things over. If those of you are interested and Tiberious_Morguhn is interested...

I could set up your own NWN CMP forum area. I can move your thread over and set you up as independed moderators. It's up to you? Easy, free offer.

I hope Tiberius_Morguhn sticks around. He has some fantastic content and I do feel badly about spill over from my own poor choice of words. It will still be NON-CTP related, but in the end we are all Fans of NWN :p:

PM me or let me know if your interested.

Tiberius_Morguhn

Post by Tiberius_Morguhn »

[QUOTE=CWebb;7318]Perhaps what we should do is plan a 1.5 or some such - rounding up some of the better community-generated music, providing some organization (descriptions and classifications), and move forward along that line.[/QUOTE]

I like this idea a lot. I am more than willing to make this work as a team if other folks are interested. It can be as soon as you want. I have 7 months left before I become a 1st time Dad, so best take advantage of the free time :D

Tiberius_Morguhn

[QUOTE=Shioni;7321]Seeing as how I sort of started this whole thread I'd just like to thank Tiberius_Morguhn for being the first person with the guts to step up and take action.

Personally I don’t give a crap about copy rights but Tiberius_Morguhn has seeming went the distance and got permissions.

I would also like to thank Tiberius_Morguhn for joining the CTP boards just to comment here about this and take a little criticism[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your support Shioni, I appreciate it.

Tiberius_Morguhn

[QUOTE=RAVEN280;7322]I also agree with this Shoini, and I also want to thank Tiberius for taking the time to join us here in the CTP forums and discuse his project. Tiberius, please do not think we are attacking you, but there was a group of us here within the CTP that was working on a similiar project with the same name and we were somewhat suspect when your project released with the same name we had chosen. I will admit that it would be an easy choice of names for this type of project, and someone once said " great minds think alike".

I have a great amount of respect for both Chris and Bannor who lead the CTP team, and I would like to see the same kind of dedication and leadership on a CMP project. Bannor is correct in reguards to us being better off working together for the good of the community. I would like to see us all work together on this project and see it grow and prosper.

Tiberius, I do appreciate the work you put into this project, and I am grateful that you have made valid points for using published professional material. Myself and the others here in this forum were looking at doing more community created stuff (all though you make a valid point of the lack of decent community material), but we were also looking at featuring sounds (like various animals and environments) as well as voice over material.

Rather than our team continuing to do its own project, and having any negative feeling toward your project and what you have done, I would like to offer that "olive branch", and suggest that we work on this CMP project together as a team. Since you have already taken the lead on this, I have no problem if you want to continue to spearhead this project. I know we have some really dedicated folks here on this project, and I think we could really make a heck of a music/sound pack if we were to work together...

Raven280[/QUOTE]

Thank you Raven, I appreciate all that you have said.

I am more than willing to work on a team for the next releases as others have suggested. I think it would be great to collaborate with the folks here who are interested in cranking out even better content for the NWN community. After all, that is my main goal.

I have that sick, twisted mentality that the toolset and custom content are more fun than the actual game :rolleyes: :D

From your comments the only item I am hesitant on is rolling soundsets and SFX into the scope of the CMP. IMHO it should be music only. If we want to do a CSP (Community Sound Pack - damn that community word again!) in parallel, that would be good, but trying to roll it all together might be messy. Again, that's just my $.02

While I am rambling here are some other ideas that I was working on pursuing:

* A low fidelity version of the CMP. Right now all tracks are 128Kbps and 44KHz stereo (3 tracks are 22/32KHz). This comes in at ~384MB. Resampling to 64 or 96Kbps and 22KHz would drop the size down by at least 1/2 to 1/3 depending on what bitrate was tolerable to listen to. The beauty would be that the BMU file names would stay the same so a module builder or player could use whichever version they wanted and everyone still hears the same sounds (just at a lower or higher fidelity).

* Like I mentioned before, battle music. I wimped out and skipped it. It needs attention.

Many of the team like the idea of categories. I have no musical aptitude (except for the mechanics of it) so others with trained ears will have to work on that.

Anyways, just some thoughts.

Tiberius_Morguhn

[QUOTE=Christopher;7323]I have made no imput to this thread other then one post. I am not working nor doing anything with the CMP. I also am responsible for a rather tastless accusation on the Vault directed at Tiberius_Morguhn.

I have made some posts and sent some pm's hopefully to smooth things over. If those of you are interested and Tiberious_Morguhn is interested...

I could set up your own NWN CMP forum area. I can move your thread over and set you up as independed moderators. It's up to you? Easy, free offer.

I hope Tiberius_Morguhn sticks around. He has some fantastic content and I do feel badly about spill over from my own poor choice of words. It will still be NON-CTP related, but in the end we are all Fans of NWN :p:

PM me or let me know if your interested.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Christopher. I got and responded to your PM. We're all good. :)

The dedicated forum area would be good if enough people are interested in collaborating and moving on to release v1.5 soon?

I plan on working with Maximus to get the Author part of the CMP v1.0 changed over to the "CMP Team" in prep for v1.5 or 2.0 or whatever we call it.

DM_Mask

Post by DM_Mask »

I'd love CSP, if only because let's face it.. NWN needs about 50 more voiceset's for players to use.

Chris, a seperate place for this to develop would be godsent. At the (sizable) risk of sounding arrogant, you know I run a vBulletin board elsewhere, so if you want to voluntell someone else to get that off the ground, I'll step up and either do it, or train someone else to.

Better yet, how about CNP Community Noise Pack?

Tristan Kalaman

Post by Tristan Kalaman »

As a possible end user for this I agree on reducing the sampling to reduce the overall download size, but keeping the quality.

I'd also like to see music categorized as was mentioned previously.

Adding SFX or voicesets, meh, doesn't matter to me, and would prefer if you rolled that out in a seperate download.

As a builder, what I would see myself using at the end of all things would be...

CEP, CTP, TNO, CMP

And probably not much more than that, that is afterall a lot for an end user to download.

Just my input, glad to see someone taking a first swipe at it and I hope the next version is that much better!

Oh, one last thing, alternative music for the winter tilesets. The Bioware ones sound very dwarven (almost like what they use for Midgard music in DAoC), which in itself isn't bad, but to hear it everytime you wander into a winter area... well, let's just say it is the only music (both ambient and combat) that grates on my nerves.

Thanks for listening and good wishes to you on this project!

/Tristan.

CWebb

Post by CWebb »

[QUOTE=Tiberius_Morguhn;7324]I like this idea a lot. I am more than willing to make this work as a team if other folks are interested. It can be as soon as you want. I have 7 months left before I become a 1st time Dad, so best take advantage of the free time :D[/QUOTE]

Sooner would be good for me - I've got three *weeks* left before I become a 1st time Dad. :eek: :eek:

-CWebb