CMP v1.5 Music Suggestions
Tiberius_Morguhn

CMP v1.5 Music Suggestions

Post by Tiberius_Morguhn »

From the thread title, this is the place to post links or information regarding new music that you would like to see in the CMP v1.5 release. There are some ground rules for what will be considered for inclusion:
  • *NO* COPYRIGHTED MUSIC

By this, I mean music that is not released to for public domain use by the original artist or copyright holder. This means that if someone posts an MP3 rip of a Metallica song on the NWN Vault, we can't use it. Although the NWN Vault is public domain, this particular work wasn't approved for posting by the original artist or copyright holder. I am not a fan of copyright law as it is implemented in the U.S., but I am not going to express that disatisfaction by breaking those laws. In general, original works posted to the NWN Vault by an artist are intended for public domain use.

Music directly from an artist's website will need the artist's permission to be used, unless that permission is explicitly stated on the website (ie. I obtained David John's permission for his works that were included in CMP v1.0 that were not posted to the NWN Vault).

Music that is recreation of a copyrighted piece is acceptable if the artist has recreated the work from scratch without copying any of the original (ie. a MIDI reproduction of Ultima's "Stones" or something like that).
  • Music obtained for use *must* have its orginal source documented

This includes the artist, publisher (if different), and originating website. If it comes from an album of released works, the album title is also necessary. This is intended to give full credit to the artists and to provide transparency for us in how/where we obtain our content.
  • Music should fit the NWN theme/genre or a theme/genre that can be created with the NWN toolset

This is more of a judgement call than a hard rule. For example, today's pop music would not probably fit in anywhere for NWN ambient or battle music but a heavy metal loop might work for battle music. Traditional themes like Celtic and Arabic are appropriate, and some other suggestions like Techno would also work for a mod depending on the custom content. This is flexible.

Whew! :)

PLEASE NOTE: You don't have to be a member of the CMP team to submit suggestions or ideas for content. If you are interested in becoming part of the CMP team and have some spare time to participate, leave a message on these forums or private message me.

raven280

Post by raven280 »

Hey Guys,
I have a few things I want to submit to the team for the next CMP release. The first is the material created by Travis A. Richards (Snafe). The first CMP did contain one of his creations (the grove), but several other pieces that he created for NWN are excellent and highly rated on the vault:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Us ... g&id=59530

When the CTP guys were first looking at creating a CMP, I talked to Travis via email and he was very interested in having his material added to this project. He also mentioned a willingness to help on this project and even create CMP only material based on what we needed.

The second set of materials I thought were really good and could make a nice addition to the next CMP is Uze's Uber Ambient Nature Sounds for NwN. I have already created a test mod and placed these sounds into it...they are very realistic and would make a good addition to what is already a music only based CMP. The Jungle sounds are especailly well done.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=so ... ail&id=552

I am going through some of the earlier vault released material to listen for creations that may make a good contribution to a future CMP release...

Raven280

Post by Guest »

Awesome Raven280, keep a good ear to the vault for any new traffic.

I was listening to a song from WoW and I thought I heard a nice 7 beat jingle that I would like to use as part of CMP theme music.

Raven can you ask Travis to make an Adventure theme for CMP that sounds a little like this.... http://www.necroever.com/WoW/02%20The%2 ... 0World.mp3

If not I will just look try synthesizing it... I’m going to try and make a demo movie or at least part of one.
(I also have a special project just for CTP as thanks for letting us crash here. I’ll have to get professional editing help when I’m done)

Here is a list of jobs we need to work on

*Adding new music
Checking copy rights
Finding original work

*Fixing categories
Basic categorization using both in game names and hac names
Rating Music from 1-5 (five best)

*Adding Battle music
Set up a system so music can be set as battle music in combat

*Ambient Sounds
Add various ambient sounds

*Voice Sets
Write one liners
Record voices

Tiberius_Morguhn

[QUOTE=RAVEN280;7702]Hey Guys,
I have a few things I want to submit to the team for the next CMP release. The first is the material created by Travis A. Richards (Snafe). The first CMP did contain one of his creations (the grove), but several other pieces that he created for NWN are excellent and highly rated on the vault:

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Us ... g&id=59530

When the CTP guys were first looking at creating a CMP, I talked to Travis via email and he was very interested in having his material added to this project. He also mentioned a willingness to help on this project and even create CMP only material based on what we needed.
[/QUOTE]

Which ones did you want included, or did you mean all of them that were not in CMP v1.0? Based on downloading, there is over 50MB to add to the CMP from this author alone.

[QUOTE=RAVEN280;7702]
The second set of materials I thought were really good and could make a nice addition to the next CMP is Uze's Uber Ambient Nature Sounds for NwN. I have already created a test mod and placed these sounds into it...they are very realistic and would make a good addition to what is already a music only based CMP. The Jungle sounds are especailly well done.

I am going through some of the earlier vault released material to listen for creations that may make a good contribution to a future CMP release...

Raven280[/QUOTE]

According to the link, these are ambient SOUNDS not ambient MUSIC. I want to keep the CMP as MUSIC ONLY. If we (or others without me :) ) want to do a Community Sound Pack (not trademarked :p: ) then this would fit better there don't you think? I don't want to shoot down great ideas like this, but I really want to keep the CMP confined to music content. There is so much out there that it is going to be big enough without having additional sound types/voice sets/whatever. Besides, it gives someone else the lance to lead the charge to make a CSP!!!

Tiberius_Morguhn

[QUOTE=Shioni;7708]I was listening to a song from WoW and I thought I heard a nice 7 beat jingle that I would like to use as part of CMP theme music.

Raven can you ask Travis to make an Adventure theme for CMP that sounds a little like this.... http://www.necroever.com/WoW/02%20The%2 ... 0World.mp3

If not I will just look try synthesizing it... I’m going to try and make a demo movie or at least part of one. [/QUOTE]

As long as we don't infringe their copyrights. I would hate to have Blizzard's lawyers coming after any of us considering the behemoth cash cow that is World of Warcraft. We would suffer greatly. :_cry2:

[QUOTE=Shioni;7708]
(I also have a special project just for CTP as thanks for letting us crash here. I’ll have to get professional editing help when I’m done)
[/QUOTE]

I'm curious as to what hoops you are having to jump thru. I thought we got a gracious donation to host our forums. :confused:

[QUOTE=Shioni;7708]
*Adding Battle music
Set up a system so music can be set as battle music in combat
[/QUOTE]

I am working on this right now. Stay tuned for beta test help.

[QUOTE=Shioni;7708]
*Ambient Sounds
Add various ambient sounds

*Voice Sets
Write one liners
Record voices[/QUOTE]

Please see my above post. I really want the CMP to be music only.....

raven280

Post by raven280 »

[QUOTE=Tiberius_Morguhn;7729]Which ones did you want included, or did you mean all of them that were not in CMP v1.0? Based on downloading, there is over 50MB to add to the CMP from this author alone. [/QUOTE]

I actually like all of his material, but we can canvas the rest of the team to see which pieces eveyone likes the best....if size is an issue.

[QUOTE=Tiberius_Morguhn;7729]
According to the link, these are ambient SOUNDS not ambient MUSIC. I want to keep the CMP as MUSIC ONLY. If we (or others without me :) ) want to do a Community Sound Pack (not trademarked :p: ) then this would fit better there don't you think? I don't want to shoot down great ideas like this, but I really want to keep the CMP confined to music content. There is so much out there that it is going to be big enough without having additional sound types/voice sets/whatever. Besides, it gives someone else the lance to lead the charge to make a CSP!!! [/QUOTE]

I was actually hoping we could go beyond just music and also include sound and voice material.....I dont know how many more CXP type projects this dwindling community can support or the amount of haks players and builders will use. Also, if the CMP has more different types of material it contains, the more appeal it will have to the community. Uze sound pak has over a 100 downloads, and has a rating of 9.13, so I think it would be a good addition to the CMP project, as well as diversify our material...

Raven280

DM_Mask

Post by DM_Mask »

[QUOTE=RAVEN280;7758]
I was actually hoping we could go beyond just music and also include sound and voice material.....I dont know how many more CXP type projects this dwindling community can support or the amount of haks players and builders will use. Also, if the CMP has more different types of material it contains, the more appeal it will have to the community.[/QUOTE]

Post Second-ed.

Post by Guest »

Tiberius I think if members of the team want to bridge off we should encourage diversity in the project.

I believe that we could include sound and voice sets, just update the Hac file and separately add the additional sounds.

Like always adding sounds is optional.

I don’t know a lot about Hac files or I would have done more with this, and I’ve been getting too excited about CTP and started writing some of my best plots.

We can patch in sounds and battle music together; I hope we get to testing battle music before you have to leave for a week.

CWebb

Post by CWebb »

[QUOTE=Shioni;7791]Tiberius I think if members of the team want to bridge off we should encourage diversity in the project.

I believe that we could include sound and voice sets, just update the Hac file and separately add the additional sounds.

Like always adding sounds is optional.

I don’t know a lot about Hac files or I would have done more with this, and I’ve been getting too excited about CTP and started writing some of my best plots.

We can patch in sounds and battle music together; I hope we get to testing battle music before you have to leave for a week.[/QUOTE]

I think we should have a sound pack of some sort - either by generalizing CMP to a CSP, or by having a parallel CSP for ambient sounds and so forth. I would say let's keep the battle music (stingers) separate from the ambient sounds, so we're not forcing people from downloading the ambient sounds if they're not used. Something like:

CMP.hak (ambientmusic.2da, battle track stingers)
CSP.hak (ambientsound.2da, relevant sound effects)

-CWebb

Kraven Khor

Post by Kraven Khor »

Hey all,

My suggestion is add the music from the game Arcanum from the now deceased Troika studio's. it really has some very original music and very atmospheric for an rpg game. For you who don't know the game, Arcanum is an rpg gamefrom 1990 in the lines of baldur's gate but magic mixed with technology.

Anyway t the adress of the original site is dead but this a adress of a fansite that still works
http://www.terra-arcanum.com/

And the site of the composer who also made music for halflife2,Guildwars etc etc
http://www.benhouge.com/arcanum.html

The music was free for download on the official arcanum page so no copyright issues i think,. but the site isn't there anymore.

I however still have the mp3 files installed on my hd plus an extra bonus track that never made it to the final version. All downloaded legally from the Troika site.

also here's a link to a sample of the main arcanum track,so u can hear for yourselves.
http://www.benhouge.com/Arcanum.mp3

Let me know if u interested, i can always submit the tracks to the Vault.

Greetings
Kraven